I recently read an article By Jason Good on Huff Post called I Can’t Believe I’m Doing This, which lists 24 things you’ll do as a new parent. It got me thinking about all the things military spouses do while our husbands are deployed. Some women have never had to do some of the things we do without blinking an eye.
Here are 24 things you may find yourself doing as a military spouse (at least these are some of the things I’ve been through);
1. House hunt, pack up a house and move into a new house by yourself
2. Plan out the landscaping of the back yard of the house that you just moved into, hire and supervise a bunch of guys working on your backyard
3. Move furniture
4. Be hospitalized with a life threatening case of meningitis while your spouse is in the middle of the ocean with no way to come home.
5. Take the garbage to the curb every week
6. Snake a toilet (gross)
7. Fix pipes
After- I fixed this!!
8. Make all financial decisions
9. Try to explain to a 5 year old that why daddy is in another country helping other people even though we need help at home
10. Paint walls
11. Hang pictures
12. Stay up until 2:00 am so that you can email with him since he is in a different time zone
13. Prepare to move another country and then find out 2 weeks before the move that you are actually staying where you have lived your whole life
14. Have your phone within a few feet of you for the entire deployment just in case your service member calls
15. Pick up dog poop
16. Find out you are pregnant (3 days after he left for deployment) and having to tell your husband through email
17. Fly the red eye while pregnant and with a 1 year old to be with your sick father-in-law
18. Deal with your spouses family
19. Document every moment of your life so that you can email him pictures (yes, i have a video of my daughters first poopoo in the potty)
20. Fix a fence
21. Mow the lawn
22. Make sure your kids have fun while he’s gone but not too much fun that they will look back and realize that daddy wasn’t there
23. Jump start a car
24. Be the one who gets up in the middle of the night when you hear a noise
The most important thing you will do as a military spouse is find out just how strong and capable you really are. We are some of the strongest women in America.
Don’t get me wrong, there are also some benefits to deployment….. Click here for some the best things about deployment Top 5 Things About My Husband Deploying
What are some of the crazy things you have had to do as a military spouse?